Welcome to my Blog!

Greetings and welcome to my page. My name is Rebbecca, I am a mom of two and a preschool teacher in southwestern Virginia. I have had the blessing of working in a Reggio Emilia inspired center for nearly 10 years, with the Greenies (my students) for 7 of the last 10 years. Our emergent curriculum and play based learning approach has changed the way I think about working with children. I am looking forward to sharing my inspirations, reflections and stories with you. So glad you're here!

“If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!” Shel Silverstein


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Super Parents? I Think Not....

I remember when I first started working in childcare, freshly married, not in the profession for long, and generally appalled at how the parents treated their kids. I remember thinking to myself, "How could those parents take a day off and leave their kids here? How could she yell at her child like that after not seeing him ALL day? How hard can it be to take a moment to blah blah blah blah"..... and then I had kids of my own.

Let's face it, if you work in child care and do not have a child of your own it's hard to understand the intricate emotions of parents. Having children is amazing, I would not trade my kids in for anything. However, parenting is a world of pain, shame, and lots of tears. There is a lot bearing on your soul as a parent, doing right by your kids, giving them your all and praying you don't make the same mistakes your parents made (that's my case anyway.) If you don't have kids it's an abstract world you could not come even close to comprehending. Now don't get me wrong, there are tons of excellent teachers that do not have children and I know a few who have inspired me and loved my children as their own and I could not have asked for bigger blessings.

All I'm saying is, go easy on those parents. They're doing the best they can and when the day is over and that cute face gives a quick "I wuv you," the parent is instantaneously recharged. And then he crawls in your bed at 2am....

Check out this AMAZING NPR article from Alan Greenblatt posted today for more.

"Parenting Got You Down? You're Not Alone."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject/2011/08/26/139974665/parenthood-got-you-down-youre-not-alone?sc=fb&cc=fp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers